Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Red Bean Waffle Fish Cake (Taiyaki たい焼き)


I just realised that I don't know more than half the name of the food I had consume while in Japan. As you would have noticed from the title above, the layman's name is nothing closed to the Jap name...
Next on the list of Desserts is the Taiyaki. I am sure some of you have seen and eaten the Taiyaki available at some of the Jusco supermarket in Malaysia... take my word for it, NOTHING like the real deal! The one featured in the picture above will set you back ¥180 each. This one was purchase from the Basement area of Esta building, next to the JR Sapporo station. Note that it was generously filled with red bean paste with a very thin layer of waffle skin, which was great, rather than the flour filled ones in Malaysia. 
The one pictured above is a slight variation. They have 2 waffle fish cake with a block of red bean paste squeezed in the centre. The texture of the waffle was very crunchy compared to all the ones I had consumed.
The one featured above are mini Taiyaki. I didn't purchase any as I deem it a little too expensive. But as you can see the red bean they used looks very refined and the mini Taiyaki looks absolutely too adorable to be consumed.

Generally the price for a Taiyaki starts from about ¥120 each, and I realised that the cheaper ones are generally not so generous with the filling.  There are many variations for filling with some using green bean paste, cheese, custard or black sesame.

No comments:

Post a Comment